Thursday, July 19, 2012

25 1/2 THINGS ABOUT ME: Who I Am...on the lighter side.



1. I am crazy, head over heels in love with Jesus and His Daddy but I hope that isn't really random b/c it permeates every aspect of my life!
2. I married a boy I met in the 4th grade and I'm crazy, head over heels in love with him too--that was the second best decision I've ever made.
2.5 My man is in the Air Force--he just celebrated 20 years from when he pinned on in May of 2012! We have moved 11 times in that 20 years, and I have loved every single moment of the adventure. In 2010, we built our first home, the one we live in now.  As much as I have enjoyed the military life, my catch phrase during the build was, "Oh, we don't need to worry about re-sale value. This is the home our grandchildren will visit us in." :-)
3. I don’t like dark chocolate and I feel guilty about it. I love milk chocolate however, especially when it’s been violated by caramel.
4. I don’t like to cook and I feel guilty about that too. I do it anyway. I'm actually on a quest to enjoy it more by being more deliberate about it (sound familiar?) and finding ways to challenge myself with it. 
5. I am from the deep South and really missed the slower pace of life when the military had us in other places. I make great fried chicken, cornbread, and sweet tea, but I do NOT cook with bacon grease.
6. I have four kids but don’t like loud noises AT ALL. It isn’t working out well for me.
7. My kids are the sunshine of my life and I live daily with the fear of them one day leaving home. Please God, let them all live right next door!
8.  This year (2012-2013) will be my 11th year of homeschooling our kids and it is one of my favorite-ist things I’ve ever done! I wake up ALMOST every morning looking forward to it.
9. I love to laugh and I have a very dry sense of humor which takes some people time to understand about me, and it’s usually women. I’m patient.
10. I think all of our kids are funny and fun—actually they are all nutcases and my husband blames me. I’m not sure why. It’s undeserved.
11. I love to read (which homeschooling has hampered) and I love to write (also hampered by hs). I just LOVE words! I find the combination of them fascinating at times.
12.  I started piano lessons as an adult at 41 and it brings me peace and joy that I would never have dreamed I could feel. I'm in book 3. I really stink but no one in my family tells me because they know it's my happy place.
13. I have always loved having red hair, even as a little girl when I was teased mercilessly. I am somewhat offended by people who, as adults, get red hair from a bottle, never having endured the “character building” opportunities I did, but I'm getting over it. :-)  (i.e. “I’d rather be dead, than red on the head.” Puh leez)
14. I have been leading women’s Bible studies for many years and it is my passion—I long for others, especially women for some reason, to know how their lives can change for the better when they hand it over to God and walk daily in His Word and in His love.
15. I was a youth and music director at a church in Mississippi when I was in college and it was one of the highlights of my life.
16. I wear perfume almost every day—I love nice smells. I choose my perfume according to my mood. At this moment I own 8 bottles of perfume, 4 perfumed body powders, and I don't dare count the number of perfumed body sprays and lotions I own. It's ridiculous.
17. When I was in my early 30’s, a tornado formed right over our van when we were driving down the road and blew the windows out of it.  I had to go through counseling to stop the panic attacks from coming when bad weather approached after that. My older kids spent many nights sleeping on a mattress in the hallway with me in Shreveport b/c of MY tornado fears. My husband slept peacefully through each tornado scare in our comfortable bed. I'm working on forgiving him for not being afraid with me. :-) Now thunderstorms are delightful to me and I only wake up if a child stands by my bed and seeks comfort, so I guess I'm cured.
18. My mother taught me that when I’m feeling discontent, I should rearrange my furniture to make it feel new. I have done this since childhood and do it often for her when I visit her home since she can't do it as easily by herself now.
19. I’m married to a man who hates change and feels physical pain when he sees a room rearranged. I try to do it less frequently now.
20. If God had not blessed me with children (and I’m so glad He did), I think I would enjoy being a writer who professionally organizes people’s homes and lives on the side.
21. I am organized, but not in an anal retentive way. I do however, have a fetish about my picture frames being turned the way I want them. Like now, I’m feeling uncomfortable b/c someone tilted the picture frames on our piano too far to the righ…hang on, I’ll be right back.
22. I love my mom and dad so dearly and call my mom nearly every day. I feel at home in her home (although it is not the home of my childhood) as I do my own. She demonstrates unconditional love in an amazing way.
23. I have two older sisters who I am crazy about—I LOVE having sisters!! (My oldest sister does make fun of the picture frame thing though.) 
24. I love to travel, especially out of the country. I’ve been to Russia, Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, and Canada and have collected teapots and cups from a few of those countries.
25. I’m crazy about nature. The beach is my favorite place to meet with God, and now I live 15 minutes from the most beautiful beaches in the world.  I LOVE it when He starts playing with colors and shows me a gorgeous sunrise or sunset. When He lets snow fall from the sky I feel like He is raining down gentle kisses on my head.

       

 

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl, this is Tammy Wright. Put a "subscribe by email" widget on your blog so peeps like me that want to keep up with you will get an email every time you post. K? Big Hugs!! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy! I'll figure that out and do it! :-)

    ReplyDelete